Thursday, October 27, 2011

AAQI: Heading for Houston



Every week I check the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiatives Holding For Houston page and I am amazed at just how many of our own Liberated Quilters Challenge quilts are being included in this group.

Basically, they are pulled from either the AAQI Quilts For Sale page or their Quilts Waiting for Assignment page and are ones that have 1) never been to Houston before and 2) are numbers 6000 and up.

By visually scanning the page..and remember they are trying to bring (and therefore list) 1,500 quilts and I can't always spot 'our' quilts when we have lots of members and I have to visually recognize them as ones I have listed before and not just remember, noticed, or liked that belong to someone else ;) So, if I have left you off, let me know. I am not including 'counts' because I want the person who has one quilt to feel just as happy and proud as one who might have sent a dozen! We are all so appreciated!!! And doing this is all so very hard for those of us who also volunteer with the lists and databases.

I visually counted the quilts on the holding page ...so far ...and got 499. And yes, they have reached their 1,500 goal so we may all have way more quilts going then I have counted and way more names that I have to add each time I can recognize quilts. Very few of you ever write me and let me know you registered or mailed a quilt and my detective brain is showing a lot of strain with my life challenges...so, I can only do my best in counting ;)

But my list so far shows me that the following lib quilters have quilts going to Houston this year...at least so far!

And I have counted that there are a total...believe it or not...of way over 50 of our quilts from this Liberated Quilters Challenge heading for Houston...and again, at least so far!!!

Michele Bilyeu
Sue Brown
Kathleen Connors
Wendy Koenig
Michele Lancaster
Lynn Makrin
Rene' Martinez
Sue Matlock
Laura Randolph
Julie Sefton
Lynda Sharp
Kristin Shields
Debra Spinic
Jan Stone
Molly and Nancie Voegele
Victoria Findley Wolfe

Quilts from each of those listed might be one or it might be over 10. It depends on how many you sent in and when and whether they wanted to use them for this or save them for a later purpose.

1500 Quilts To Houston - YouTube



Some of our quilts are in a Youtube video...see if you can find one of yours!

This is a huge, huge job and my hats go off not only to all of you quilt makers but to the amazing and wonderful AAQI volunteers who organize this and do all of the hard work every year!!!

The AAQI has just awarded a $30,000 grant to Cornell University to study Alzheimer's disease: http://www.alzquilts.org/cornell9.html

November 1-10 (overlapping with Quilt Festival) is the Stanley Cup Quilt-Off. Twelve extraordinary quilts will be on the auction block at

http://www.benefitbidding.com/listings/categories/index.cfm?category=965774286 starting November 1st.

Take a sneak peek at the quilts here: http://www.alzquilts.org/quiltauction.html



Michele Bilyeu of With Heart and Hands quilts for AAQI and runs the AAQI Liberated Challenge..won't you join in all of our fun...donate or buy a quilt, today!To see all of our quilts to date, check out our AAQI webpage at http://www.alzquilts.org/liqublliqume.html