Thursday, December 8, 2011

Amazing AAQI Volunteer, Nancy Astle


We have Alzheimer's Art Quilt stories that are so uplifting and amazing...stories about our record breaking news that AAQI Raised $62,000 in Houston, for example. But we also have amazing quilters who have challenging lives of their own, who still manage to rise above their own circumstances and problems to do wonderful things for others.

Ami Simms just recently shared with us the story of AAQI quilter, Nancy Astle of Las Vegas, Nevada. In spite of her challenges with ALS, Nancy not only made and donated quilts to AAQI, but was fulfilled her $1,000 Promise by creating 31 quilts...all of which have sold...and earning $1,193.26 towards research funding.

Unfortunately, Nancy recently passed away, but she leaves behind a legacy of love and of quilts and quilting. That she could reach beyond the boundaries of her own life and illness to still help others is a testimony to the spirit of this amazing woman. How can we not be inspired by such a story?

As Nancy wrote in her $1,000 Promise statement:

"Statement: I have always loved making miniature quilts. When Ann Pugh told me of Ami Simms fund-raising for Alzheimer's research, I knew I would join her cause. My father and my mother-in-law both died of Alzheimer's. I make these small hand quilted pieces in their memory. The shop where I worked did a lot of die-cutting and there were always tiny strips too small to use. So I brought them home and turned them into beautiful little quilts. Alzheimer's takes away bits and pieces of a person. To me, the bits and pieces of cloth I use become whole-as I know that someday my loved ones will be whole again as well. I fight a battle with ALS but, thankfully, my hands have not been affected, so I will continue to piece and quilt and help Ami with her cause.

Nancy's beautiful quilts may be viewed on this Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative web page:
Nancy Astle
Michele Bilyeu Quilts With Heart and Hands for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI) Join in my Liberated Quilting Challenge...and buy or donate a quilt, today!! We are changing the world...one little quilt at a time.