Wednesday, May 30, 2012

What is the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Monthly Auction?




When I tell friends or family that I have an art quilt up at auction for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative, they always ask me "What does that exactly mean?"

And that's actually a very good question!

It doesn't necessarily mean that AAQI founder Ami Simms will take my small format art quilt and hold it up in front of a large crowd of eager buyers...but she might do that in real life and in person if she was at the Houston International Art Quilt Festival each November....where between 1,000 and 1,500 of our AAQI art quilts are shown and sold each year

In Houston, they are not only displayed beautifully on special walls with all of their quilt information beside them, but also sold on the spot to eager buyers who not only want to own a lovely small format art quilt by some very talented art quilters, but also have their purchase funds support Alzheimer's research funding as all of the profits from the sale of these quilts do!

But what it usually means when we say "AAQI Monthly Auction" is that it must be the special time of each and every month where 26 quilts are selected by Ami Simms to appear at the AAQI online auction site, hosted by BenefitBidding.com. From the 1st to the 10th of each and every month, you can go online to this site and bid on your favorite quilt or quilts.

It is a knuckle rapping, nail biting time when you wonder if you will get it with a final high placing bid or lose it because you forgot to check back often enough or even at the last minute for someone else to beat you at your own game! The secret of avoiding that is to sign up for a new features called:
Signing up for this allows you a more successful chance of getting that final bidding opportunity and ending up with the beautiful quilts of your choice! Imagine the possibilities of both making wonderful contributions AND helping fund Alzheimer's research!!

This month's auction features some unusual and beautiful small format quilts which will be up for auction on June 1 through June 10th...2012.

I feel very fortunate to have another of my own small format art quilts up for bidding in the June Auction.
 
Quilt #9648 - Changing the World
Michele Bilyeu
Salem OR/Douglas AK

Please note the photo used above was taken by me with my own camera, the photo on the auction site was scanned by AAQI, hence the color differential as well as the pressure from the scanner lid on my beautiful African painted beads! It is my favorite quilt as far as the colors go so I wanted to showcase it better and only wished I'd taken a better photo myself before I mailed it in! Trust me it is gorgeous ..even if I say so myself! I love this quilt and am so happy it is up for auction for such a wonderful, wonderful cause!

And Liberated Challenge Group member, Sue Ryan (who is now also a member of the Chicago Quilt Guild Group) also has a great quilt up at auction this month:



Quilt #9726 - Rough Around the Edges

Sue Ryan
Chicago, IL

Bidding on these items starts at: 05/31/12 22:00:59

Please do consider joining Liberated Quilting Challenge (info here on this blog) as many of our members have now had quilts up for auction, sent on traveling sales display, or featured on AAQI's facebook page! It's a win-win both for the quilter and this group! You are all so wonderful, as are your AAQI Liberated Quilting Challenge Group quilts!


By Michele BilyeuMichele Bilyeu Quilts With Heart and Hands for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI) Join in my Liberated Quilting Challenge...and buy or donate a quilt, today!! We are changing the world...one little quilt at a time.